14/03/2007

She-cat Milli, He-cat Maxi





People in our family are almost all cat-fans. For 17 years, I owned a grey cat, Bella. When she died, I did not want any other cat; I had grown so accustomed to her, never to imagine being able to replace her by another one. But you should never say NEVER...

In autumn 2005, my daughter’s mother in law found two tiny little cats on her terrace, starved, sick and more dead than alive. With the help of the veterinary, she took care of the two and after 2 weeks, they were in a state of health, where she coud start looking for a new home for them. Giving in to my daughter’s urging, we went to visit them one day. I should not have done this! The very moment, when that tiny tigercat looked into my eyes, I was lost! More so even, when her little pitchblack brother-cat came running towards us, miaouwing loudly for our attention.

Ever since that day, those two cats form part of our family. From that handfull of nearly living furr, they have grown to beautiful, healthy cats. Milli is a little beige-black tigered furrball, with grassgreen eyes. She is catching everything with wings in our garden, from bees to butterflies, to dragonflies and birds. Maxi, the tall and high-legged black cat with yellow eyes, is the appointed mouser. He loves to bring them inside underneath the dining table. Of course I take away living prey and put them into liberty, but sometimes I have to dispose of dead animals, too.

As both cats are only little over a year old, they love to play. Milli likes to run after knitting wool, but her favorite play is with “Wires”, i.e. little remains of colored, coiled wires used in modelbuilding. You throw those at her and off she goes, chasing after and finally burrying them under the carpets. Each time I am supposed to vacum-clean, I have to dig for the wires first, sometimes I find more than 10, 12!

Maxi likes to play football and catchball with little rubberballs. He also brings them back to us in his mouth.

While I am writing this, Milli sits on my lap and enjoys the heating of the computer. She also likes to chase the cursor on the screen.

But our greatest pleasure is, when we retire into our livingroom chairs, we do not stay alone for very long. And so, most of our reading- or TVwatching-evenings end up with each one of us having a purring cat on our lap.
LOLO (Luxembourg)

No comments: