14/03/2007

Daily routine earlier and now



For the last twenty years of my professional life I worked as an administrative assistant in IT management. I was in charge of the time contracts of IT employees from the date of their entry and their invoices up to the date of departure. For me it was an interesting activity which I liked a lot because I had dealings with people and at the same time could work independently.

Because of my work my family life was rigorously organised. When my two daughters were small and went to the village school, there were no nurseries and only after a long search did I find Somebody to look after our children at home for six years. During this time outside of our work my husband and I renovated an old house with a large garden and we could not complain that we did not have enough work. All four of us were only able to see each other in the evenings and at the weekends and for one month in the summer holidays.

It was too much, for about 7 years ago both of us fell ill. At that time the girls were in Germany at university and therefore not at home for most of the time. Shortly afterwards my husband had to retire at 56 and the same happened to me half a year later at the age of 53.

There we were sitting alone at home. We had come down from 150% activities to about 30% and that almost overnight. The first year retirement was quite good – we did enjoy it – not to have to get up early, no more stress on the motorway or with the colleagues and to be free to decide who was going to do what and when etc. My husband’s health condition improved afterwards so that he felt a little under demanded. Unfortunately I myself was and still am ill. But even then I still could not cope with this easygoing rhythm.

This is why we started up again our hobbies or looked for new ones – sometimes each individually sometimes together. Our daily routine was restructured in a stricter way. We made new contacts, for the previous work colleagues as acquaintances did not stand the test of time! I am going to try to expand these contacts and hobbies. It is my goal to learn new things despite my illness, to meet people with whom I can dialogue and to support sensible projects so that I can look at every week and say: I’ve managed this and that this week and I like it.


LOLO (Luxembourg)

No comments: